Bruinbill – University Student Billing Account: All students are assigned a BruinBill account which records all charges and payments associated with registration, and student housing, as well as other service charges like student health service (Ashe Center) charges that are assessed to students. Your BruinBill is available to manage nearly 24/7; just login to MyUCLA and click on BruinBill Accounts. UCLA uses a readily accessible financial system known as BAR (Billing Accounts Receivables) to assist students in managing their account and to generate fellowship stipend, loan, and other need- and merit- based aid payments. The University records all billing (such as fees, nonresident tuition, and Student Health Services charges) and all UCLA aid payments through the BAR system. Transactions are listed by the month in which they occurred. In addition to the current month activity, students can view monthly statement activity going back 24 months. Around the first of each month an e-mail is sent to all students as a reminder to review their BruinBill accounts in MyUCLA. Even though you are not paying your own tuition and Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition (NRST) charges, it is your responsibility to review your BruinBill account each month and to make the Graduate Student Affairs Advisor aware of any issues that arise.

Financial awards for Tuition and Non-Resident Supplemental Tuition (NRST) will pay out only on the scheduled quarterly Registration Fees Payment Deadline (see and will automatically be applied toward tuition and NRST charges. After tuition and NRST have been satisfied, any award amount that remains will be disbursed to the student as a refund through Bruin Direct.

Fellowship stipend payments are directly deposited, mailed to the student’s local mailing address, or held for pickup, generally one to two weeks before the start of the fall or spring quarter. However, because of the change in tax years, Winter Quarter funds are disbursed on the first business day after January 1, and may take about one week to pay out. Monthly stipend payments should arrive by the first day of the month. Questions regarding fellowship disbursement may be directed to Graduate Financial Services, 1228 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-1025.

Also, an e-mail is sent to the student’s official e-mail address to notify him/her of every direct deposit of funds. The official e-mail address can be viewed and updated at MyUCLA.

Students must pay all charges in full by the 20th of the month following the posting date of the charge. If the 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, due date is the last business day prior to the 20th. After the 20th, students are assessed a delinquent fee and a student account hold is placed on their record until the charges are paid in full. There are no extensions. Please make payments early to avoid problems, especially if payment is made by check.

BruinDirect (Direct Deposit for your BAR/BruinBill Account): BruinDirect is the electronic deposit of your BAR/BruinBill refunds directly into your personal bank account. All students are required to have BruinDirect. A U.S. bank account is required. While your BruinDirect account is being setup, refunds will be mailed to the address you indicate on MyUCLA. All BAR refunds are eligible to be directly deposited, which include fellowships, stipends, loans and any non-payroll payments to students. Sign up is available by logging into MyUCLA and click on BruinBill Accounts. Online enrollment becomes active immediately upon sign up.  Refunds processed using this method occur each week night and are then deposited into your bank account within 2-3 business days.

How long will my direct deposit last? You will remain on BruinDirect until you cancel your authorization. Continuing students are not required to re-authorize every year, however, you must complete a new form if you change banking institutions.

How do I cancel BruinDirect? You may deactivate at any time online.

How will I know when my money has been deposited to my bank account? You will receive an electronic message (email) before every deposit made to your bank account. Your Billing and Receivable (BAR) statement will include a message (for students who anticipate receiving financial aid) which gives the disbursement start date for the term. You may check MyUCLA any time after that date to confirm that your aid has been posted to BAR. You must call your bank to verify deposit of funds into your account. The month following disbursement, your BAR statement will provide details of all activity.

What happens if I receive a direct deposit for which I am ineligible? If you receive funds to which you are not entitled, you will be billed for repayment.

What else do I need to know?

  • The bank you designate for direct deposit must be in the United States.
  • You must deactivate your BruinDirect online when you leave the University.
  • It is extremely important that you keep your email address current in order to receive timely deposit notifications.
  • Every bank differs when it comes to posting electronic payments. Verify with your bank as to when your funds will be available.

Is BruinDirect a debit process where payment of University charges can be deducted from my bank account? UCLA currently does not have an Automated Clearing House (ACH) debit process. BruinDirect is a direct deposit process where any credit balance from the Billing and Receivable system (BAR) is automatically deposited into your bank account

What should international students who do not have US bank accounts do? Since you will not be able to establish your BruinDirect until the term begins, the next best course of action is to immediately establish your place of residence and to notify Student Accounting, 1121 Murphy Hall, of your address where you will be residing while you attend UCLA. This allows for any refunds resulting from stipends or assistantships you may receive to be mailed to you at your residence while your BruinDirect is in the process of being established. Please provide Student Accounting with your voided check and BruinDirect form as soon as you open a bank account in the United States.

Setting up Bruin Direct: Setting up Bruin Direct establishes direct deposit only for funds that come through your BAR account (like first-year stipend from the program or training grant stipend). After your first year in the program, unless you are awarded a training grant, you will likely become employed as a Graduate Student Researcher (on a faculty member’s research grant) or as a Teaching Assistant (TA). It will be necessary for you to set up a separate direct deposit for funds that come to you through the UCLA Payroll system….so plan in advance!!